The International Arctic Science Committee (IASC) seeks an Executive Secretary full time to direct the IASC Secretariat, to guide IASC activities and to manage IASC finances.
The IASC Executive Secretary reports to the annual meetings of the IASC Council and on a day-to-day basis (and biannual meetings) to the IASC Executive Committee, operating as a Board of Directors. Functions include guiding and overseeing IASC´s activities, representing the organization on international committees and at international meetings, facilitating the planning and organization of the Arctic Science Summit Week (ASSW) and other international conferences, directing IASC´s communications, managing IASC´s finances and heading the IASC Secretariat, including the dispersed secretariat.
- Extensive knowledge of international Arctic research
- Broad experience in cooperative, international scientific programs or activities
- Considerable insight into Arctic problems and policy issues
- Relevant science management and administrative experience
- Demonstrated experience in international and intercultural understanding
- Excellent communication skills and a high level of computer literacy (Office 365, Joomla! and HTML)
- Excellent proficiency in English
The Executive Secretary will be required to live in Akureyri and also to undertake significant overseas travel and must be able to do so.
The application deadline is 24. January 2020 at 23:59 GMT.
The Executive Secretary will serve on a contract through December 2021, with expected extension through December 2026. The Executive Secretary will be appointed, employed and paid by Rannís in accordance with Icelandic law and Rannís' rules of procedure. Appointment will be based on the recommendation from the hiring committee composed of two members from IASC and two from Rannís.
Applications may be valid for six months from the deadline, cf. regulations No. 464/1996 on advertising for vacancies in the public sector. All applications will be answered when a decision has been taken on the recruitment.
Rannís operates according to an equal opportunity policy. Wages are paid according to the relevant collective agreement with the Ministry of Finance.